Thursday, July 25, 2013

Advertising Teasers

Sometimes you are offered a product or service at a price you can't resist.  Then you might even go out of your way to get it.  That's happened to me twice last week.  I went out of my way, but I didn't get it.
The first time it was because of an ad in the Walmart flyer. They were offering fresh cooked rotisserie chickens for only $8.47.  It would normally cost me more than that for a small chicken even in an uncooked state, so I thought that would be a great buy and planned to get one for supper. We discovered, when we went to the Walmart in the town the flyer came from, that they don't have a hot food section in that store.  Admittedly, I don't shop Walmart often, so I didn't realize that until we arrived. It turns out the flyer did say "at participating locations" but I told the clerk it wasn't fair of them to tease me like that.
The second incident involved a coupon that was only good for one day.  I put off my shopping trip until that day just so I could use the coupon.  General Mills was introducing a new product, Honey Nut Cheerios Healthy Oat Crunch. The coupon was for a free 430g box. There was an alternate from the Fibre 1 line, but it contained almonds, and I have an allergy to them.  I shop at a major line of grocer stores, and they did not carry the new product. I was very disappointed because, as you all know, I love free stuff.

This week, I had another one of these free product coupons that was also good for just one day.  Once again it was meant to introduce a new line of products. Like last week,  I put off my shopping trip until the appropriate day.  This time the coupon offered four choices instead of just two.  The store did not carry either of my first two choices, Nature Valley Protein (I was hoping there was one without almonds), or Fibre 1 with 7g of Protein, but I was at least able to bring something home this time.  I got a free box of Golden Graham Treats.  Not quite what I had in mind, but I'm sure my grandsons will enjoy them.... if they last that long.

While I do think coupons are a great way to get people to try a new product, perhaps manufacturers who wish to get us hooked on their new merchandise should wait a little longer to offer these incentives to us. That might give us a better chance of actually finding the products in the stores.  I'm more likely to buy something I'm not sure about if I can get it at a bargain price the first time.  An offer of a free product will attract me every time, and several of the things I now buy on a regular basis, were originally introduced to me in sample form. It is certainly in both the manufacturer's and the consumer's best interest if the new product is available at the time that it is being offered.

I thought maybe I just lived too far out in the boonies, and that the products were likely more easily found in the big city stores.  I did see several other people complaining that they couldn't find the products in their stores though, when I looked online at their Facebook page. One person, who I know lives in a city, went to more than one supermarket before he found one of these products though.

 I have now also found an offer there that might work for me yet. In the meantime, I picked up a box of regular Honey Nut Cheerios, and it has a PIN code in it that will allow me to get one of these free products yet.  Maybe in a couple of weeks, they will arrive at my stores and I'll finally get to taste something new.  Wish me luck.

 

2 comments:

  1. Great cereal, Honey Bunches of Oats is a household favorite and the Almonds one definitely adds that flavor. Good amount of almonds mixed in and the same great taste. I bought from
    sears auto coupons offers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are a little confused Adrienne. Honey Bunches of Oats is a Post product, not a General Mills one, so it has nothing to do with this post. And, as I said, I'm allergic to almonds, so I wouldn't be wanting a cereal with them in it anyway. Also, I'm in Canada, so you Sears site is of no use to us here, but it's interesting to know that your Sears actually offers coupons. I do, however, thank you for reading and trying to comment.

      Delete