Monday, January 28, 2013

Just in Case.....I AM Sorry!

My grandsons came to visit this weekend and I discovered that the four year old has learned a very important lesson. He's quick to apologize.  It doesn't matter whether he spills his milk, hits his brother, or breaks a toy, any action that might be disapproved of is quickly followed by, "I'm sorry."  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he does what he wants, and then quickly utters those words if he sees any sign of disapproval on the faces around him. He's that smart, and cute enough to get away with it.

I remember when I was a little kid, a few years older than him, but definitely not more than seven, I did something that angered my mother.  I have no recollection of what it was I did, but I remember very well that she insisted that I tell her I was sorry.  I don't know if I was sorry, but I do know I was very stubborn.  I was not going to utter those words. I lived with her disapproval, and likely the inability to do something I really wanted to do, for a couple of days before I finally gave in and whispered those two little words.

Though I don't remember what it was I did to get into such trouble, I do remember that the longer it took me to say that I was sorry, the harder it was to do so, and I learned a lesson from that.  I'm much quicker to tell someone I'm sorry now.  Obviously my little grandson has learned this lesson much earlier than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment