Thursday, March 24, 2011

I Could Use Some Company!

Somebody should come to visit me. Of course, it would be important that they called first. That would spur me into action. The house needs a good tidy up. As you can see, it's very easy for me to find other things to do rather than housework. So maybe what I need is a once a week visitor.

Actually, I had one yesterday, but I also had a very social day out of the house, so other than getting the dishes done and the bed made, I didn't get much else done around here all day. Luckily I did dust and sweep the floors the day before. The main two rooms are not all that bad. They are the ones that give you your first impression when you come in here, so I tend to start there when I'm picking things up or cleaning surfaces. Just don't look in any drawers or cupboards, for heaven's sake!

This room, where the computer is, and where I spend much more time than I should, has piles of stuff everywhere. I have a nice organizing shelf, which likely could use some organizing (especially the drawers). And I bought another desk for under the window so that I would have a clear surface for my painting projects. Surfaces around here are seldom clear for long though, so it has it's own piles now.

Computers were supposed to reduce paper, but as far as I can tell, I have more paper now than ever. Mind you, some of that comes in the form of books. If I'm addicted to anything, it's reading, or at least buying the books to read and then stacking them up.

I just called a friend to see if she wanted to come over. That's a self imposed kick start, but it didn't work. She's busy for the rest of the week. I'm going to have to find a way around this procrastination some other way. The problem is, when I know someone is about to arrive, I don’t think. I just start grabbing stuff and putting it where it belongs. When I'm not in that kind of hurry, I guess I think about it too much. There are too many things to do, and I'm not sure where to start anymore.

Oh wait, I had a plan that used to work. Follow the perimeter, pick up stuff in each room for 10 minutes, put what doesn't belong in that room in a box to be deposited in the right room when you get there (as opposed to running back and forth and getting distracted). Of course, when I get to an actual pile, I'll end up there for more than my allotted time, I'm sure, just sorting, let alone putting anything away. Of course, according to this particular plan of action, you are supposed to make a list of things you want to accomplish and then assign a day of the week for each room. After you have done your 10 minutes per room pick up, you then go to the room for that particular day, and do something on that list. In between the picking up and the assigned room jobs, there is another half an hour when you are supposed to do the actual regular household chores (dusting, washing floors, watering plants, etc). You make a list of all the things that should be done at least once a week, and you start at the top of the list and work your way down for just 30 minutes. At the end of that time, you know you will start where you left off tomorrow. In no time at all, this method works so well, you no longer need the 10 minutes per room, that starts the day. After all, there will only be what you left out since the day before. Yep, that system always works well for me when I'm following it.

So, let's get started.

Oh, wait. Here beside the computer is a pile of income tax forms and receipts from various family members. I have to get those done, and back to them, as there is a time limit on taxes, you know.

Also, I have homework to do for the course I'm taking. I should get that in by tomorrow, and I have not started it yet.

Yep, I apparently need a time limit in order to get things done.

The housework, will just have to wait. Maybe someone will be kind enough to decide to visit me next week, so I will get around to the tidying. But please, do call first.

2 comments:

  1. It's all about perspective. Wanna switch houses with me? Oh! Better idea! I will send the children to YOUR house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No thanks Gwen. I raised two "onlies" as my kids were 8 1/2 years apart, so I really only had them both for about 8 years. I couldn't handle 3 little ones all at once. In fact, I tend to borrow my grandchildren one at a time! And when they come and the toys are scattered all over the place within moments of when they arrive, I really don't care. That's a mess I can live with.

    ReplyDelete