Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Sampling Life

As many of you know, especially if you read the first 5 months of the blog postings last year, I get a lot of samples.  Today I decided to use nothing but samples and report what I learned.


I started my day by washing my hair, and used TRESemme Platinum Strength Strengthening Shampoo. (1)  A little of this product goes a long way. It lathers very well, even in our hard  water. 

I followed that up with the Conditioner from the same line (2).  You need to leave this product in for 2 to 3 minutes.  Personally, I prefer a 2 in 1 product, so I can condition at the same time as I wash my hair. It is good though, that the TRESemme people put the Shampoo in a Black bottle and the Conditioner in a White one.  You don't have to try to read the bottles, to grab the right one, when you may have soap or water in your eyes.

Next I used Olay's Moisturizing Body Wash (3) which is a 2 in 1 Cleanser and Moisturizer.  It has a wonderful scent of something reminiscent from my past.  A delicate version of Neutrogena's Rainbath, perhaps.  The package said to use it with Olay's soft cleansing puff, but I didn't have one handy. It says it will work into a lather, but using just my hands, that didn't happen at all.  Could just be our hard water.

Since I was into Olay products, I next chose their Total Effects Body Moisturizing Treatment. (4) I know the body wash was supposedly an all in one, but I have dry skin at this time of year and this product is supposed to fight the 7 signs of aging.  It says to concentrate on affected areas of the arms and legs. Well, the skin just above my ankles is dry and flaky and gets really itchy so, while I spread it everywhere, I did concentrate on there.  It absorbs quickly and leaves no greasy spots.  I like that.

Okay, so now my hair and body are clean and moisturized. Next I reached for a deodorant.  I used Dove Ultimate Supreme go Fresh Cool Essentials.(5)  It smells kind of like cucumbers, I think.  Fresh anyway.  It's a solid cake so it doesn't glide on as smoothly as my regular gel style deorderant, but it didn't leave any sticky residue either, so it passed that test.

Now the face.  I washed it with a product from Simple (the Sensitive Skin Experts) called Refreshing Facial Wash Gel (6).  It says it's kind to skin, and it is. I have rosacea.  This product is gentle and I use it often.  It leaves me soft and clean without any tightness upon drying.

Next I applied Mario Badescu's Aloe Lotion (7) with a cotton ball.  That was probably not necessary after the Simple Facial but I'm testing, right?  This is a clear lotion, not a moisturizer, but more of a toner, I believe.  Now my face if really soft and healthy looking.

Mario Badescu is a brand I just discovered in the past year. They have several products I'd happily use more of in the coming years. They have a drying cream you can dab on pimples and it just dries they up in no time. It is skin coloured too, so you could likely camouflage the spot if you wanted to use it during the day.  They also have a product called Bee Pollen Night Cream that I really love.  As night creams go, I don't remember ever waking up and feeling my face so soft and non-greasy. If I were to treat myself to one product tomorrow, this would be the one.

I brushed my teeth with Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief toothpaste. (8)  It left my whole mouth minty fresh.  My teeth are not normally sensitive, but I liked this product so much that I may just buy it anyway.

I finished off the face with Garnier Ultra Lift AntiWrinkle Firming Cream. (9)  I love this stuff.  I did the 28 day challenge when it first came out.  It not only firms but gives me a smooth non-shiny finish that seems to fill pores and make me look more youthful. At my age, that's a good trick!  I likely would have continued using it after the 28 days, but I still have other products on hand to use up first.

I'd have used some makeup about now, most days, but I'm sick, and not planning to go anywhere so I'll save that until the next time I do this sample testing thing.  Oh yes, I'll do it again as I've lots of samples here.  I'm not sure everything listed above still exists, as products seem to come and go so quickly these days, but I'll try to incorporate more recent acquisitions next time.

Oh, let's not forget the eyes.  One of the most recent sample products to come into my home is the Aveeno Fresh Essentials Anti Fatigue Eye Roller. (10) This leaves a nice cool feeling as the liquid rolls on by way of a metal ball.  No tugging fingers needed around the eye area with this product.  I think it will be a real treat, especially during the summer months, to feel that cool ball on my face.

By this time, I'm all clean, soft and moisturized from head to toe.  But I am, as I said, not well just now as I caught that nasty cold bug with it's accompanying cough, so I'm going to lay around all day with a stack of books and a pot of tea. 

At the end of the day, I did come back to tell you I tested some Garnier Anti-Wrinkle Firming Night Cream.(11) It's a rather thick cream but it's non-greasy and absorbs quickly. 

At the end of the day, my hair is still shiny and well behaved, even though I've been laying on it most of the day.  There is no sign of flaky skin around my ankles, my face is still soft, smooth and not greasy. It looks good, despite the fact that I had no makeup on all day.  I think this was a successful day of testing, and I look forward to doing it again sometime in the near future.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment