Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fair Results

I recently mentioned I was asked to sit in a garden full of hostas and paint for the afternoon.  Well, this was certainly an new experience. I've never painted hostas before, and I've certainly never painting where others could watch me before either. 
I just finished the first of 3 hosta paintings I started for that event.  It was rather an ambitious undertaking, and since I finished it just in time for the fair, I decided to enter it to see how it would do.  Usually I win something for my paintings, and that's always a great way for me to get the encouragement I need to continue. I've never pretended to be an artist, but I do like to paint.
Well, this one didn't win anything at the fair. 




Actually, the acrylic one didn't either. I was more surprised by that as I really thought it would catch someone's attention.  Oh well. Maybe there was a lot more competion this year.  That's not a bad thing, since when I first started entering paintings in the fair, it was because the quality of what I was seeing there was such that I figured these people just slapped some paint on some paper at the last minute, just so they could enter something.  It made me feel like I had a chance, and I did well.

Now, I know that I'm a lot better now than I was then, so it's not that I've gone downhill, but rather that the competition has gotten better. That's certainly okay with me.  It makes for a much better show.

2 comments:

  1. I think they are both very lovely. The competition MUST be harder because I would have picked them both!

    Just thought I'd let you know we finally went geocaching again today. Four of of six. Not too bad for not going for almost ten months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of those paintings are STUNNING! What I would give to have your ability to paint! Don't be discouraged, I am AWFULLY impressed!!!!

    ReplyDelete