Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Painting Project

 Our local Ladies Club decided last fall to start creating a rock snake that will be installed near the library, here in our village. We gathered once a month to paint rocks with any design we chose. Three of us actually painted the head of the snake at the first meeting, so it will be interesting to see how those get used. As there were a few rocks left after our last meeting, we were invited to take them home and finish them up there.  Well, I have lots of paints so I made off with one.

I was one of the ones who had previously painted the snake's head. I had found a rock that just told me that was what it was. I put a penguin on another and finally, I painted a face on the last one. So what would I put on the one I brought home?  

I placed it on my desk and waited for it to suggest something. I turned it around and still, it didn't suggest anything in particular. Then I remembered one of the other ladies had stood a rock on its end and I wondered if this one would do that. As soon I placed it on end, I knew immediately, that this rock was a dog! 

I searched internet to see if I could locate a picture similar to what I was imagining on the rock.  I found a couple that were very different from one another but had features in the right place to fit on my rock. Even as I started painting I was not sure which way I would go. I decided to place the nose and eyes. The shape of the rock defined the snout and ears. After that, I just let go and let it become whatever dog it wanted to be.  The great thing about painting with acrylics is you don't have to worry. You can always paint over anything you don't like.

I could likely refine this a bit more but hubby says, "Don't touch it!"  What do you think?







1 comment:

  1. I'd leave it just as is - sometimes you don't need to do any more!

    ReplyDelete