Monday, May 27, 2013

Artistic Challenges Are Always Good

As I said earlier this year, I'm trying to push myself a little further into the world of art, and hopefully improve as I go along.

This month I discovered a forum called Florals and Botanical on Wet Canvas. They host something called the Plant Parade. Each month they put forth some photos of a specific plant, and everyone paints that plant, either from those photo references, or one of their own. Then, on a specific date, everyone reveals their painting.  Any medium can be used, and all sorts of artistic license is taken. On the reveal date, everyone posts their finished work, for the rest of us to see.  I'm glad I didn't look at the posted pictures before I uploaded my painting as I may have chickened out. Some of them were amazing. This past year I have painted a couple of flowers in acrylic, but this particular project was a Parrot Tulip, and I just felt I'd have more fun trying it in watercolour.  I don't normally paint this quickly, or under a deadline either, so I wasn't sure if it was going to be finished on time, or how it would turn out.  It does seem to have been well received by the group there though, and also on Paintings I Love, where I often post what I've been working on.  I don't know if I'll have time next month to take part again, but I will certainly be back to play with these people again sometime soon.


1 comment:

  1. Sue Reimer HutchinsonMay 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM

    Karen ... it is beautiful!! You have become a wonderful painter - I can see the progression from your earlier works.

    ReplyDelete