Thursday, November 1, 2018

Inktober

In 2009 a guy named Jake Parker created a challenge for himself to draw something in ink everyday for the entire month of October. He called it Inktober and hoped that it would improve his drawing skills and instill a more positive habit of drawing on a regular basis.  Inktober has since spread throughout the world with thousands of people of all skill levels taking part.  This year I was one of them.  I even enrolled in Jake's course through Sktchy to learn how to handle the pens better.

I've just finished taking part in my first Inktober. It's been quite the experience.  Until recently you would have heard me say, "I can't draw."  Now, though I know I still have a lot to learn, I have gained the confidence to go ahead and at least attempt to draw just about anything.  For the month of October, I pledged to draw something in ink every day, and to post it online, good or bad. Believe me when I tell you there were some really bad ones. I used all sorts of different pens and drew in all kinds of different styles, and not only gained confidence along the way, I also gained a good many Instagram followers from the art community and learned some valuable lessons.

I learned that certain pens don't work well for certain subjects. Though I seem to have accumulated a good number of different types of pens over the past year or two, I have discovered that the plain old ballpoint pen is my best friend. I am totally amazed at what I can accomplish with that one simple tool.
 



 I also learned that though this was supposed to be an exercise in drawing with ink, I frequently reverted to colour rather than the laborious job of shading with pen. Also, I felt that in many cases, the picture would only satisfy me if it was in colour. People used to ask me what I liked to photograph, and though I know they really wanted to know if I liked landscapes, people or extreme closeups, etc, my standard answer was "colour"  It was always the beautiful colours that caused me to point the camera in any particular direction. Well, apparently the same goes for my art. I just need to add colour or in many cases I just don't find the drawing interesting, or finished. In fact, I find colour helps hide things that I might otherwise consider to be flaws.  I learned that trick while urban sketching last year.

I discovered that I can draw a somewhat recognizable portrait better than just about anything. How that happens is beyond me, but it works well in both pencil and ballpoint pen.

I don't do too badly with food either, though that requires colour and comes off more as an illustration.

A lady I have never met liked something I did so much she actually asked me if I'd draw her dog. I told her that I will attempt that if she comes up with a decent photo I can work from. (This one belongs to my neighbour). I would never have even considered such a thing a year ago!  Friends are commenting on how far I've come in such a short period of time. I can't wait to see where it all leads me.




9 comments:

  1. I love this, you really have inspired me to keep practicing and improving my skills. Your works are becoming polished, I love them :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the drawings shared here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya very cool website!! Guy .. Excellent ..
    Superb .. I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?
    I'm happy to find numerous helpful information right
    here within the submit, we'd like develop extra techniques on this regard, thanks for
    sharing. . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so I came to look
    it over. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm book-marking and will
    be tweeting this to my followers! Superb blog and excellent design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know the name of this Facebook group. I do love it when somebody shares but I'm always curious about where. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. This is Blogspot so I just use their system. It's easy enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I just picked it from among the various available themes on Blogspot. It's an easy site to use and personalize.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to be a part of a contest for one of the finest sites on the net.
    I'm going to highly recommend this website!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was very pleased to discover this website. I need to to thank you for your time for this wonderful read!!
    I definitely appreciated every part of it and i also have you saved as a favorite to check out new things in your website.

    ReplyDelete