Monday, September 16, 2013

2013 Discovery Tour

This is definitely the season for artist studio tours. There were several available last week that we didn't get a chance to see, so we decided to take in one of the ones that was on this weekend. We got off to a late start though, as we got called in to perform some grandparently duties first. So when we did set off, I chose to head for Kars, as that's the end of the Discovery Tour that we missed out on last year.  While we only managed to stop at 3 places, we got to view the work of nine different artists.

The first one was Barb Desroches, who paints in watercolour, acrylic and oil. I had met her at the North Gower Farmers Market a couple of weeks ago but what I didn't realize until we arrived at her home was that I have known members of her family for a very long time. Her brother-in-law and his entire family used to come to our karate club, and we were thrilled and surprised to run into them in her home.  I loved her work, and took note of some of her techniques to try for myself. I found her prices quite reasonable too, and would have loved a long conversation on how she comes up with these figures but the place was popular and I didn't get a chance.

At our next stop I did have a very good chat with artist Marie Paquette, who hand builds clay objects and does free-form brushwork with some fascinating results. She took the time to explain the wood firing process to my hubby, who asked specific questions, and gave me a very animated talk on how she accomplished some of her paintings.  This woman really enjoys her artistic processes, and it shows in her work.

In the back room the whimsical glass pieces of Frantic Farms were on display. While there were definitely a couple of things, like the chicken and the fish, which could happily live in my home, they were, after all, made of glass, and would not last long around here.

By the end of the day it was the work of Moira Law that inspired me the most.  I saw the techniques she employed, and know how to do them, but have never attempted to put them together in quite the same manor.  Now I'm itching to find just the right photographs to play with and perhaps take my art in a totally different direction.

I really appreciate the artists I talked to this weekend, as they were willing to share freely their ideas and talents.  As one of them put it, "It's always great when we can inspire each other."




No comments:

Post a Comment