Saturday, July 13, 2024

Not All Changes Are Good


 What's going on with the Fast Food industry?

First, Tim Hortons got sold and the first thing that happened was that nothing was the same but the name.  And just like that, many people started going elsewhere for their coffee and treats.  Why the new owners killed something so iconic is beyond me.

McDonald's suddenly had McCafe, which turned out to be cheaper than going to Tim Hortons. And since my Dutchies disappeared and tea in pots got replaced with swill called Steeped Tea, we moved ourselves to McDonald's. The muffins there were great.

Then our favourite lunch spot, Wendy's in Brockville, closed down and built themselves a new, much smaller venue. The food was still good, but suddenly the ambiance was gone and, if we were able to get a seat at all, there was no privacy to discuss things. 

Most of the newly built fast food places, no matter which franchise, have opted for one or two unisex toilets instead of the usual separate rooms with multi stalls. This creates lineups and gives women a better idea why men's rooms used to have urinals. Now we have to be more wary of splattered seats and floors. 

Recently our local McDonald's closed for renovations. When it reopened it was a shock to my system the first time I walked through the door. It was totally unrecognizable. Then we discovered another McDonald's in Stittsville that was a carbon copy. The order desks are not visible from the entrance. There is nobody at the cash and it takes time before we are even noticed. (Normally it's faster to tell someone what you want at the counter than to stand at the machine and poke numerous buttons).  The new furnishings can only be described as utilitarian and I have no faith in them holding up for very long. The tables are not spaced for privacy anymore so I figure maybe five could be used at a time without practically sitting with strangers. The TV's are gone but suddenly there is loud music being piped through speakers. That makes it difficult for people with hearing problems to carry on a conversation, and I'm sure people with sensitivities to sound would just not be able to stay at all.

Ah, maybe that's what all this is about in Wendy's and McDonald's. Maybe they just want drive through and pick up orders instead of people actually meeting up for lunch or snacks inside their establishments. They won't have to clean tables or sweep floors as often, so the staff can be busy making food.

I see Tim Hortons is, at least temporarily, bringing back the Dutchies, SourCream Blueberry Fritters, Walnut  Crunch and Cinnamon Twists again this summer. I have also discovered it is now possible to get my tea in a pot if I ask for it.  I guess it's time to switch back.

1 comment:

  1. This is why I get my doughnut fix at Tim's drive through. Hungry, real restaurants abound with tables to comfortably eat my bowl of soup.

    McDonald's Kiosk inside just put you outside in the car line. Wendy's answer to the new innovation here was to shut down, so if you want that type of stuff, you get it from the Micky's. Luckily for me across the street, the shut down Wendys is next to the old Big Boy, so I can still eat fast food in a civilized manner. Plus I can still have the Big Boy strawberry pie heaped in whipped cream there. Sad part of the new Mickys is the bathrooms, driving the customers to their cars means when I travel, I can no longer stop to enjoy a clean intelligent toilet facilities the McDonalds of old used to get me off the road for a bit.

    I still can't understand how serving a car every few minutes is better than serving lines of people placing their orders and eating at tables where they can pick up a bit more before they leave. They are taking that wallet you want part of with them down the road.

    ReplyDelete