Sunday, April 23, 2023

New Fangled Gadgets


 Recently I had a discussion with a group of ladies in my own age group about air fryers.  While the younger generation seems to love them, most of my group had a different opinion.  This kitchen gadget is all hype and not worth the counterspace. In fact mine is so big it took up entirely too much countespace so I found another place to keep it. Now it's even less handy and I maintain that if you can cook something in a frying pan then I don't see the point of using the air fryer. Not only would I have to move it into place but washing that big basket is rather awkward.  If I had a split sink, as seems popular these days, it would not even fit in there. Mind you, I do see it as an energy saver if the food would normally go in the oven.

I won a gift certificate for Home Hardware last year and finally decided to spend it on an air fryer. It wasn't something I would have bought for myself but they seem all the rage these days. When I got it I went through a lot of recipies I found online. I love using it to make  French toast and apple fritters. Cooking frozen French fries in there somehow stripped the product of any flavour they may have had so I roasted potatoes and made homemade fries. That worked.  I am the only one here that eats asparagus and this is a quick and easy way to cook that too but it certainly doesn't work for cauliflower. 

Everyone said the air fryer is great for meat but I was timid when it came to that. I didn't want to ruin something that costs so much these days. I don’t even hesitate to use my Instant Pot. I love that thing! The air fryer was beginning to go the way of my crock pot. That's something else I seldom use but will drag out for only certain things. I always cook beans in there, for instance. 

I finally decided to try it. My large basket has a divider that you can put in when you want to cook two things at the same time. I cooked chicken and potatoes and they turned out well. Then this week I put some honey garlic sausages in there. The air fryer now definitely has a use! I will never cook sausages any other way. You don’t have to watch them, or turn them and they come out beautiful and evenly cooked.  I might actually try some other meat now. Perhaps this gadget will grow on me yet.

What is your favorite thing to use your air fryer for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment