Thursday, September 28, 2017

A Little Enlightenment

Jim Carey is not who he used to be. In fact, if you listen to him now you will hear him claim that Jim Carey does not exist. He has never existed. Jim Carey is just a character he plays, just like he plays all his other characters.

From an early age, he says, we are often urged to be a certain way, act a certain way and believe in the things that others around us believe in. Doing so may cover up our real selves. The person we become would be nothing more than a character we create while trying to fit in.

He found acceptance by making people laugh from a very early age and continued to do so and had a very successful career. Then he made a movie in which he portrayed Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon.  He got so deeply into that persona that when it was over he had trouble getting back to being Jim Carey. That's when he realized that Jim Carey, as we all knew him, never existed and was just an act.

People started saying Jim was depressed and he was for a while. After all, his off and on girlfriend of three years died of an apparent suicide. And as if that wasn't bad enough he then had to face a wrongful death lawsuit from her mother. That's enough to depress anyone. Jim says though, that sadness and depression are two different things. Sadness is a reaction to things that happen. Being depressed, according to his doctor, is your body saying it needs a Deep Rest from trying to be the persona you have created for yourself. You are tired of pretending all the time and you just want to stop.  That's what happened to Jim.

Forget about the  existential and the tetrahedrons and any other thing he's said that sounds crazy to you. The things I've mentioned in the preceding paragraphs hit home with me, just as his playing Andy managed to touch him.

I have never felt that I fit in and have often joked about being from another planet or at least having been dropped off on the wrong one.  If he's right and he and most other people invent themselves as they go along in order to fit in, I missed out on doing that and just always wondered where I belonged. Apparently instead of sitting on the sidelines and wondering why I was different I should have made changes in my thoughts and behaviours to become part of a group. While Jim Carey and others  are busy playing the part of being who others around them expect them to be, I have always been just me. It wasn't the easy route to take, but perhaps it was the best one after all.

As I've aged I have come to accept my own uniqueness and am now comfortable with myself. I no longer worry about whether you like me or not. It took me a long time to get to this place. Somewhere along the way I learned from Dr Wayne Dyer that differences are not necessarily a bad thing and that some of us are just more highly evolved.  Jim Carey just had to evolve the hard way. How are you doing with your journey through life?


1 comment:

  1. Who did I want to be? I always wanted to be Winston Churchill or Willie Wonka but both of those have already been claimed by Sir Winston and Mr. Willie. I decided that I would just do my Blog (Foolishness...Or Is It?) about the Silly in the world around me and let my many (that's Silly Code for "few") readers figure out who I am. I now am wondering if I would like who I am, if I knew who I was.

    ReplyDelete